Thursday, September 23, 2010

Visual Effects Assignment 3

So I somehow manage to always do next week's lesson this week...ugh. I had some of those advanced animation and what not with the Star Destroyers but here's what I did this time. I did a 2d motion track with After Effects' built in tracker (which surprisingly held up!). Applied the data to a null and then started with the composites. Just like the Star Destroyers I cut out some helicopters and made them into two 3d layers for the hull and rotors. Precompsed those and dropped them into my main comp with some motion blur. There was 1 on the ground, 1 beginning to take off, and 1 in transition from takeoff to flying. The last chopper I keyframed to ease so the velocity of the chopper would speed up as it leaned forward to push itself through the air, while the take-off chopper had to first build some resistance and then ease into motion. I composited the different layers of smoke and then a general layer of atmospheric smoke - including the smoke that reacts to the choppers (which was just a lucky coincidence from Action Essentials 2 - thanks Andrew Kramer!) and finally composited in the Mon Calamari star cruiser (although masking the leaves out was a huge pain.

VFX Shot from kabraz on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment